INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL FOR THE SEMIOTICS OF LAW
CALL FOR PAPERS (by 15 March 2017)
Special issue: Representations of Law, Justice and the Subject in Engrenages
“This is a call for papers for a forthcoming special issue of the International Journal for the Semiotics of Law/Revue international de Sémiotique juridique, the leading international journal on legal semiotics.
The special issue will be devoted to exploring legal themes, representations, and images in the French television series Engrenages (known to English speaking audiences as ‘Spiral’).
We therefore invite proposals for papers exploring themes including (but not necessarily limited to):
- Portrayal of the relationships between branches of the justice system in Engrenages and/or how these are symbolized by relationships between the characters;
- Portrayals of norm-transgression (which might include crime, corruption, and/or non-legal transgressions⎯e.g. of roles, or norms of expected behaviour);
- Portrayals of violence;
- Imagery/discourses of the human body (living and/or dead);
- Interpretations of gender and/or sexuality;
- Representations of ethnicity, race, and/or migrants;
- Representations of sex work/sex workers.”