The three day symposium “Rethinking and Renewing the Study of International Law in/from/about/ Latin America” is convened for September 26-28, 2017, by the universities Externado, Rosario and Los Andes as well as the History Section of the Latin American Society of International Law, the Network on Rethinking International Law Teaching in Latin América (REDIAL) and the Red de Aproximaciones Postcoloniales al Derecho Internacional, on the occasion of the new book “Imperialismo y Derecho Internacional: Historia y legado” and the visit of its authors Antony Anghie, Martti Koskenniemi and Anne Orford.
The event looks to address three main topics of concern: 1) the colonial/postcolonial heritage and structures of international law in the region 2) the revised or untold histories and historiography of Latin America ́s international law 3) the past, present and future of teaching international law in the region and its relation to both its colonial/post-or neo colonial dimensions as well as its history and historiography.
The call for papers and program can be consulted in: http://dip.uexternado.edu.co/call-for-papers-rethinking-and-renewing-the-study-of-international-law-infromabout-latin-america-september-26-28-2017/
- Paper proposals may be submitted in Spanish, Portuguese, French or English and presented in either language but simultaneous translation is not guaranteed for all events. Proposals should include the day in which the applicant wants to present, a 500 word (max) abstract description and a biographical paragraph of the applicant’s education, current institutional location, and relevant publications.
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for submission of abstracts is 3 April 2017. Selected participants will be notified by 3 May 2017.
- Participants must submit draft papers by 1 August .
- Best papers will be published in the journals of the sponsoring universities.